1897--Railroads and Corsets.

After visiting Rail Town in Jamestown (near Yosemite) I couldn’t stop imagining how women might have walked around this train station before the turn of the 20th century.
In 1897 the railway to Jamestown was complete, while fashion was still evolving at the end of the Victorian era.
In the late 1800’s skirts and sleeves bloomed to their fullest.  
In the early 1900's the S-bend corset was created to create the illusion of an even slimmer waist by forcing the torso forward. By forcing the hips back and the bust forward, it was believed that this took pressure off the abdomen and provided better posture.
Thank goodness I don't have to lace up a corset when I get dressed everyday!
These hats are fabulous! 
These highly decorated French late Victorian hats are to die for. 
Next time I go on a train I would love to wear a hat like this!


No comments: